Pirate Role Question

Discuss all things related to the Seafarers expansion here.

Pirate Role Question

Postby hiliner17 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:11 pm

If a Pirate has been placed anywhere next to your OPEN shipping route does that prevent you from closing your shipping route? (ie. on your next turn you will build a settlement on an island, but someone puts the pirate adjacent to your route before you get to place the settlement.)

My reasoning was that you may not be able to place the settlement because the the placement of the pirate would prohibit ships with supplies through to the destination settlement. I could not figure out if that is the principle to the rule or, if i am making a leap.
hiliner17

Re: Pirate Role Question

Postby steve » Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 am

I'm pretty sure a pirate doesn't restrict you from building settlements adjacent to it, just ships. So, while it does make sense outside of the game that you wouldn't be able to build a settlement if there was a pirate ship stopping supplies, while in Catan you are able to do just that.
steve

Postby hiliner17 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Good take. There has been some heated debate about the principle, but rules are rules...or, no rules are no rules!
hiliner17

Postby BobMem » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am

This could, however, be a great rule for encouraging more use of the pirate ship. I most games I play the pirates sit on the same hex for the duration.
BobMem

Postby steve » Tue May 31, 2011 7:01 pm

good point, the pirate ship generally gets no love.
steve

Postby BobMem » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 am

We've found a new way to encourage pirate ship use.

We lay out the seafarers board in a semi-random set up. So basically we make between 3 and 5 islands by laying out the sea hexes and then randomly distribute the land hexes between (we play with 5-6 players all the time so it's generally quite a large board). We always use 3-4 gold hexes and deserts, and when putting down the numbers we just make sure no 6s or 8s are next to each other or on the gold.

By setting the VP target to 13 or 14 you generally force players to colonise other islands, which means it can often be tactically beneficial to block leaders with the pirate ship rather than the robber.
BobMem

Postby steve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:20 pm

yah, any game forcing lots of expansion to other islands will definitely make the pirate much more valuable. Though, I still prefer the type of game with a small number of larger islands.
steve

Return to Seafarers