Catan on iPhone/iPod. Confirmed and released!

Discuss anything Settlers-related that doesn't fit inside another forum. Holding a Settlers event? Found a great place to buy the game cheap? Those sort of things fit in here.

Catan on iPhone/iPod. Confirmed and released!

Postby torpemonday » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:48 am

CHECK IT OUT CHECK IT OUT CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go guys! Get it while it's hot and cheap! I know it may not be the same thing but it's something until an official one comes out. Read the article before buying. They changed some major/minor (major to me) things that make Catan an interesting game.
:shock: http://toucharcade.com/2009/07/21/kolonists-a-solid-settlers-of-catan-iphone-clone/
torpemonday

Re: Catan on iPhone/iPod. Confirmed and released!

Postby steve » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:07 am

sweet, that looks pretty decent. hopefully they'll add multiplayer later, but at least it's a change to pass the time while waiting in lines.
steve

Postby torpemonday » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:39 am

Alrighty, so I got the "Kolonists" app and gave it a play or 2 or 100 and decided to let you guys know what to look for if your unsure on whether to buy it or not. Where do I begin...Well it has the same concept as Catan but without the dice and the trading between players option. Dissapointing but the game is still enjoyable regardless.
The way it works is that the everyone places their settlements in the order like Catan. You get the resources you need as the turns go depending on where you place your first settlements. I normally place mine on duplicate resources mainly because the only way to obtain the resouces I havent placed a settlement on is to trade in(like the ports) 4 resources to receive 1 of whatever I need. And of course if you can build a settlement on whatever port that you choose, the trade in rate will be according to that port. This is whats sucks about the game. You have to rely on your own resources to get other ones you need instead of trading with other players.
The computer player takes a long time to decide what it wants to do sometimes but it's not too bad. The difficulty isn't hard either. I wish there was a way to make it harder because it's a little too easy right now. Maybe as I get further in the game it gets harder, who knows. Which leads me into the next part of the game.
There's some sort of ranking that I dont understand yet(I lied about the 100 times of playing the game :roll: ) I'm still a slave and as you win more you earn more reputation or respect which changes your title. The more points you aquire during the game i.e. longest road or largest army count as seperate points after the game is finished, the more points you get to move into the next rank. I dont get it yet and if somebody does please fill in the blanks. I'll give more info on this as I play it a few more times.
They do have a new option that allows you to bribe your opponents invisible workers to move from the position that they're at(the resource) and open up that resource for you to move into and collect that specific resource, because when your finished with whatever your doing after your turn you can move your chosen resource to collect from another. Ya I know that's kind of a strange option to have but it works. For example, If I have my settlement surrounded by 2 wheats and 1 brick and my current resource being collected is wheat, but I need brick, after I'm finished with my turn I can change the resource to brick IF it's available. That's where the bribe comes in if it's not.
The development cards are the same as in the board game. And the 2 point bonus for longest road and largest army are there as well. The robber is now a ferocious Spartan! :o Not really just a lame BARBARIAN HOARD!(Think Gladiator the movie). When you use the soldier card you place it on the opponent you want to screw over. Really lame because after the opponent is finished with their turn all they have to do is move their resource and the barbarian stays there. So whatever, nothings perfect.
Graphics wise it's ok. If your a Catan nut it shouldn't really matter. Not having the option to trade or use dice is a biggest dissapointment compared to the graphics. So if your looking for animation and great design similar to the xbox version it's not here. Another dissapointment, no wi-fi playability option to play others who are online. So were stuck with the current a.i. they've given us.
Overall the game is playable until something better comes out if it does come out. I personally will play it until my iPod dies because I like Catan so much. Hopefully we'll see something soon. Have fun. I think I covered everything but reply if I forgot something and dont flame. I know there arent many people in this forum but if you know someone who wants to know about the game with an unbiased view then send them this way.
C-Ya
torpemonday

Postby torpemonday » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:52 am

For those who care here is an announcement of an official Catan app for the iPhone/iPod coming soon. :D

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/24/catan-settling-on-iphone-this-summer/
torpemonday

Postby steve » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:10 pm

that's great news indeed. I agree with Joystiq in hoping for decent graphics with the iphone app.

Thanks for your informative review on Kolonists as well. It convinced me to wait for the official app from Klaus Teuber.
steve

Postby Radartoys » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Obviously the app is already out by now, I was curious if anyone has played it and how is it???
Radartoys

Return to Miscellaneous