CATAN: Only One Can Rule (an online game version)

Discuss anything Settlers-related that doesn't fit inside another forum. Holding a Settlers event? Found a great place to buy the game cheap? Those sort of things fit in here.

CATAN: Only One Can Rule (an online game version)

Postby TonyInHarrisburg » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:50 pm

CATAN: ONLY ONE CAN RULE!

NOTE: This game is not ready yet. I will post an announcement when it is ready.

IN THE MEANTIME: If you are interested in "reserving" a Territory, please PM me.

Introduction

Game Overview
Last edited by TonyInHarrisburg on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyInHarrisburg

Introduction

Postby TonyInHarrisburg » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:52 pm

INTRODUCTION

As stated before, this game is not ready yet. I work on it every day, and will hopefully have it up by mid-October.

The Game is a merging of "Settlers of Catan", "Catan: Cities and Knights", and my own rules. The rules have been greatly modified -- for two primary purposes, explained below -- and all of the rules, original and modified, are in an upcoming section. The official game rules for Settlers are available at this link; they can be helpful at times -- particularly the illustrations -- even if many of them don't apply here either in part or in full.

(THE FOLLOWING HAS NOT BEEN EDITED FOR THIS FORUM THREAD.)

OVERVIEW:

Here are some of the specifics on the game:

1. I will be referring to "Settlers of Catan" as Settlers; "Cities and Knights" as Cities; and this particular game as The Game. (I just wanted to have that clear up front.)

2. We will be playing on a 91 hex map with a max of 6 players. (I will be playing a Territory, but I will be neutral toward all players and will not be playing "aggressively". Consider me Switzerland.)

3. The rules are modified from Settlers, with some Cities tossed in as well. In addition, some of The Game's rules are straight out of my twisted mind. All rules -- whether original or not -- will be available here for your perusal and, if you are as anal as I, for printing, too.

4. The goal is domination of the Island of Catan. Domination itself is determined in one of two ways: Either all other players submit and surrender; or 50 Victory Points are accumulated among all the players and one single player has half of those points.

5. There will be a "Combat and Conquest" element which will allow players to either destroy or claim the roads and settlements of other players. (This will not be an easy or "cheap" thing to do, keeping in mind that the game is primarily about expansion and building; but it is a necessary step to prevent a "stalemate" situation from occurring should the board's intersections simply fill with Cities with no clear Ruler in sight.)

6. ANYONE WHO HAS SUGGESTIONS OF RULES THEY WOULD LIKE TO SEE INCORPORATED IS INVITED TO PM ME. I am a Settlers player and, while I have studies the rules for Cities, I have never played it or the other Catan variations.

About the Modified Rules

Most of the rules modifications are done to speed up play. It only takes minutes to play a full round (1 turn per player) of Settlers when sitting at a board; here in a forum setting, though, it could take days, even weeks, to play out just one round if we stuck religiously to the turn-by-turn play of the original rules.

Other modifications are done simply to either enhance the fun and excitement, or make certain aspects easier to Host, particularly the updating of the map graphics.

Participating

To participate, simply PM me. I will be taking names of interested players and once I have the game ready, will get back to each player, first come first served.

Player Expectations

My hope is that once we get going, players will participate on a daily basis. It is not necessary to, however; if you do not "play" a day or two, your resources will simply accumulate and be there for you the next time you return. My plan is to conduct a dice roll every 30-36 hours, to accommodate players from any potential time zone; however, this may be adjusted depending upon player input.
Last edited by TonyInHarrisburg on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
TonyInHarrisburg

Game Overview

Postby TonyInHarrisburg » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:17 pm

NOTE: THIS HAS NOT BEEN EDITED FOR THIS FORUM THREAD YET. IGNORE FOR NOW. NOTICE WILL BE GIVEN WHEN GAME IS READY TO BE PLAYED.

GAME OVERVIEW

This "Game Overview" is a heavily edited version of the Overview right out of the "Settlers of Catan" board game.

If you wish to compare this Overview for "One Ruler" with the original "Settlers" Game Overview, the latter is available here. (Ignore the map on Page 16; we are using one I created.)

[indent]1. The island of Catan lies before you. The isle consists of 91 hexes (10 of which are water, or lakes) surrounded by ocean. Your goal is to settle the island and expand your territory to become the largest and most glorious in Catan ... The One Ruler.

2. There are 6 productive hex types and desert. Each hex type produces a different type of resource card; desert has its own form of "productivity", discussed later.

3. You begin the game with two settlements and two roads. EACH settlement earns resources.

4. To become The One Ruler, you must build new roads and settlements or upgrade settlements into cities. To build or upgrade, you need to acquire resources.

5. How do you acquire resources? It's simple. Each turn, a dice roll determines which hexes produce resources. (Each hex has a number on it, called a "chit number".) If, for example, a "5" is rolled, the hexes containing the "5" produce resources.

6. You collect resources if you own a settlement or a city bordering a terrain hex producing a resource.

7. Since settlements and cities usually border on 2-3 terrain types, they can "harvest" up to 3 different resources based on the dice roll. (Irrelevant section at this point deleted.)

8. Since you rarely have settlements everywhere as the game starts or progresses, you may have to do without certain resources. This is tough, for building requires specific resource combinations. For this reason, you can trade with other players. Make them an offer! A successful trade might yield a big build!

9.You can only build a new settlement on an unoccupied intersection if you have a road leading to that intersection and the nearest settlement is at least two intersections away, referred to as the "Distance Rule" and explained in both the official and Modified rules sections.. (For the RP, I have created a set of rules for "Capitals", to be explained later. "Capitals", which offer resource collection, trade, and defense advantages, are exempt from the "Distance Rule".

10. Carefully consider where you build settlements. The probability of a settlement being productive -- producing mass quantities of resources over the long run -- is determined by the die roll number for the hexes it is built adjacent to. If you need a refresher on how dice roll probabilities work, open this hider:
[indent][hider="Explanation of dice roll percentages"]
Anyone who has played dice games know this, but I'm going to explain it anyway:
[indent]1. When you roll one 6-sided die, the probability is 1 chance in 6 of rolling either of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

2. But when you roll two 6-sided dice, there are 36 possible rolls, ranging from 2-12; and there is a greater possibility of rolling the "mid-range" numbers, as demonstrated in the below chart:
[indent]
[table]Roll and Possibility (# in 36)
2 = 1
3 = 2
4 = 3
5 = 4
6 = 5
7 = 6
8 = 5
9 = 4
10 = 3
11 = 2
12 = 1
[/table][/indent]

So, it's obvious that -- given the chance, and based upon which resources you wish to collect more of during the game -- a player wants to try to build on intersections that include the numbers 6 and 8 as often as possible; 5 and 9 after that; and so on. (The number 7 is not used on terrain hexes, which will be explained later.)
[CENTER]++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++[/CENTER]
[/indent][/hider][/indent]
[/indent]

So, that's the basic "overview" of the game, with a bit of how the creative writing/role play part will affect it. For more on the role play part, see the next Spoiler.
Last edited by TonyInHarrisburg on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
TonyInHarrisburg

Re: CATAN: Only One Can Rule (an online game version)

Postby TonyInHarrisburg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:49 am

As said earlier, this is not ready.

Development Cards:

In addition to the original "Settlers" Development Cards, the following DCs will be added to the deck:

SPECIAL RESOURCE AWARDS:

Tall Timber: Immediately gives the player lumber resource cards, 1 for every settlement and 2 for every city the player has adjacent to a Forest hex.

Mother lode: Immediately gives the player ore resource cards, 1 for every settlement and 2 for every city the player has adjacent to a Mountain hex.

Cornucopia: Immediately gives the player grain resource cards, 1 for every settlement and 2 for every city the player has adjacent to a Fields hex.

Mary's Little Lamb: Immediately gives the player wool resource cards, 1 for every settlement and 2 for every city the player has adjacent to a pasture hex.

Building Blocks: Immediately gives the player brick resource cards, 1 for every settlement and 2 for every city the player has adjacent to a Hills hex.

Real World Changes:
* Environmental Degradation: To reflect the effect of environmental exploitation over time, each hex will. CCc c. lose "productive capability" over time as follows:
>>>A second map -- the Environmental Degradation Map -- will indicate how many resource cards have been distributed from each hex to ALL players.
>>> When a hex has "produced" 50 resource cards, the hex's Chit number" will move 1 number in the "degraded" direction. (Numbers 6 and down will become 1 smaller; numbers 8 and larger will become 1 larger.
>>> The hex will remain in a "degraded" status for 15 rounds of play, after which it will return to its original chit number.
* Natural Disaster Development Cards (NDDCs):
>>> Various NDDCs will be added to the deck of DCs. A player who owns one may play it at any time; 1 or more players may be affected by multiple NDDCs at the same time. NDDCs will included:
++++ Earthquake Cards: ECs destroy the City Walls of all Cities on the hex they are played on.
++++ Flash Flood cards: Can be played on any land hex that shares an "edge" with a Mountain hex. , causing all players to lose 2 resource cards OF THE CARD PLAYER'S CHOICE for each settlement adjacent to
++++ tsunami Cards
Conflagration: Destroys or damages all "construction" adjacent to the selected hex as follows:
City Walls are destroyed. (The City itself goes unharmed but loses ALL of its resources.)
Cities without walls are reduced to settlements and lose ALL of their resources.
Settlements are destroyed (and removed from the board).
Roads on the perimeter of the hex (not extending out from it) are destroyed.
Knights on the corners of the hex are vanquished (and removed from the board).
In all cases above, reconstruction on the perimeter of the hex is NOT permitted until the next Round.

Forest fire: Played on a Forest hex only. Prevents any harvest of lumber from the hex for the next 10 Rounds.
Cave In: Played on a Mountain hex only. Prevents any harvest of ore from the hex for the next 10 Rounds.
Locust Swarm: Played on a Field hex only. Prevents any harvest of grain from the hex for the next 10 Rounds.
Wolf Pack: Played on a Pasture hex only. Prevents any harvest of wool from the hex for the next 10 Rounds.
Mud slide: Played on a Hills hex only. Prevents any production of brick from the hex for the next 10 Rounds.
Plague: "Kills" vast populations. The city the card is played on become unproductive for 10 rounds.

Baby Boom Advancement: 1 settlement can be upgraded to a city at no cost; and up to 3 additional settlements can be upgraded to cities for 2 ore and 1 wheat EACH.
Teamsters Advancement: Allows building of TWO roads for each pair of lumber and brick paid. (Limit: 6 roads for this card.)
TonyInHarrisburg

Return to Miscellaneous