Trading resources to other players for free

Discuss any rules questions you've run into here. Please search through the forum for an answer to your question before posting it.

Trading resources to other players for free

Postby Michael.Crosato » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:38 am

Depending on the circumstances of the game I will give resources (for free) to weaker players to take say, longest road from a player in the lead, or give resources to a weaker player in order to build a settlement or road to block a stronger player. This is a difficult concept for some players to understand because it will often be viewed as cheating or helping another player win. What needs to be understood is that these plays are intended to give you the best chance of winning by redistributing a points for a strong player to a weak player. Also, I will also try to convience players to give me resources for the above circumstances is the situation allows.

I know this isn't against the rules but what are other players opinion of this type of play?
Michael.Crosato

Re: Trading resources to other players for free

Postby steve » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:06 pm

As a default, I don't play with that rule. However, I have no qualms with allowing the donation of resources to other players. I think that giving commodities and resources to other players for free is certainly within the intentions of the rules for the game, and can be used for many purposes, such as the ones you described. I just like to know before starting a game whether or not we will be playing with that variant.
steve

Postby geirbear » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:51 pm

I believe that this can be a good way to balance a game, HOWEVER, be DA#@ sure that you are playing with people who appreciate a balanced game. If one person is a diehard, go for blood, win at any cost player, he or she will sour the atmosphere of the game faster than anyone can believe. I have done this when gaming with close friends, rule nazi's will hate it and I wouldn't try it at a Con.
geirbear

Postby Flint » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:04 pm

We play this way but for selfish reasons. If you have road/settlement in your hand plus a couple stray grain, dump off the grain as insurance against the robber.

If the rules allow negotiation (i.e. extortion) before placing the robber, surely it allows this. In both cases one player gives cards to another with no concrete return.
Flint

Postby Bouwser » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:53 am

In my circle of playing we often want to help other players, but we don't believe the rules allow you to give players cards, because the rules only mention trading cards with other players. One person giving cards to another person is not trading, its giving. However, you are allowed to do very lopsided trades. Such as, 1 sheep for 2 wood and 2 brick. Thats our interpretation.
Bouwser

Postby Bobbejaan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:36 am

Giving cards for free is against the rules but so many people play with house rules so just state it up front and it should be fine. You can be darn sure a person not expecting such a ploy to get mad when it allowed part way through a game as a smart strategist would position themselves not to be targeted by it.

http://www.catan.com/faq/2-catan-boardg ... obber.html

The group I play with only get near to this rule when playing cities and knights and then it is done as a card for a service. ie give a person a wheat to activate their knight to defend against the barbarians where without it you would lose a city. This is also not part of the rules but house rules allow you to do what works for your group ;)
Bobbejaan

Postby steve » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks for the link on this Bobbejaan. This is a rule I've always suspected, but never had found the black letter text to support my suspicion.
steve

Postby TonyInHarrisburg » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:07 pm

I think "House Rules" can liven a game up, but the official "Settlers of Catan" rules state "You may not give away cards". FYI.

We are considering "combat" related House Rules, to allow incursions into other players' territories!

Tony
TonyInHarrisburg

Return to Rules Questions