Aqueduct questions

Discuss any rules questions you've run into here. Please search through the forum for an answer to your question before posting it.

Aqueduct questions

Postby Matrounder » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Some clarification is needed on the Aqueduct during C&K: OK, So I have upgraded my city to have an Aqueduct, so now I get to take a resource of my choice whenever a production is rolled and I don't produce anything.

Q1) What if I would have produced something, but there weren't enough resource cards to satisfy everyone so no one got that resource on that roll. Do I get to use the Aqueduct and take a resource of my choice?

Q2) While combining C&K with Traders and Barbarians I am using the Fishermen of Catan. On a roll I produce fish, but no resources. Do I get to use the Aqueduct and take a resource of my choice?
Matrounder

Re: Aqueduct questions

Postby steve » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Wow, those are excellent questions. I love the aqueduct so I'm surprised I haven't run into those situations.

Q1) I don't think there is an official ruling on this, but I would say if everyone else doesn't get a resource, then you don't either. The aqueduct should be less powerful than owning a city/settlement on a tile that you want resources from.

Q2) Again, never read an official ruling on this question, but there does seem to be a consensus about this among the players. The German edition of the rules clearly differentiates fish as being separate from resources, while the English translation is ambiguous. So, most people play that if you have an aqueduct and get fish, but no resources from a roll, then you still get to choose one free resource.
steve

Postby BobMem » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 am

I've found another Aqueduct situation which is ambiguous:

If I have a settlement next to an 8 hex, for example, but the robber has been placed there and an 8 is rolled, can I claim a resource of my choice from the bank (assuming I'm next to no other 8s)?
BobMem

Postby steve » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:14 am

yes, you can. The aqueduct text just says it activates if you don't receive any resources from a die roll - it doesn't have any requirements for how that might happen.
steve

Return to Rules Questions