first or second settlement on port

Discuss any rules questions you've run into here. Please search through the forum for an answer to your question before posting it.

first or second settlement on port

Postby Bouwser » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:54 am

I recently played with someone who claimed that the first or second settlement you lay down in the beginning phase cannot be placed next to a water hex. I had never heard of that rule and it was not in the rules I had. He thought that it was in a different version of the rules. Has anyone else seen this rule anywhere?

Thanks,
Bouwser
Bouwser

Re: first or second settlement on port

Postby steve » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:25 am

That is not a rule with the basic game, but can be a house rule or might even be a special rule in one of the seafarers scenarios.
steve

Postby Bobbejaan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:47 am

As Steve stated it is not against the rules
http://www.catan.com/faq/2-catan-boardg ... phase.html

It is something that you rarely see happen as the person doing it reduces the production tiles they would start with. However I have seeing some strategies rely on starting with a port and work well. Not recommended for a beginner player though as it can be risky and often needs a person good at trading to pull it off.
Bobbejaan

Postby TonyInHarrisburg » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Actually, building your second settlement at a port can be a winning strategy, as explained:

We play the 5-6 Player Rules. Last night in our second game, I built my first settlement on an intersection of two pasture (wool) hexes, one of which was a #6 chit and the other a #9 chit. I built my second settlement on the wool port, which -- coincidentally -- was another wool hex (this time with a much smaller number that I don't recall; a 2 or a 3, I think). All game, I was trading wool at 2:1 and won with a 2 point lead.

You don't always get this lucky, of course; sometimes you place your first settlement as I did, and by the time it is your turn to place your second settlement, the wool ports are either taken and/or off limits due to the Distance Rule. But, hey, being King (or Queen) has its dangers, right?

Tony
TonyInHarrisburg

Return to Rules Questions