Longest road question

Discuss any rules questions you've run into here. Please search through the forum for an answer to your question before posting it.

Longest road question

Postby pinoygui2fly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:43 am

Here is the scenario: We were nearing the end of the game, and In an attempt to strategize to keep the game going in order to potentially win, I was going to block Player A's longest road, thus removing the card from his total points. Player B and Player C were tied for second longest road, but Player B was the original owner of the longest road, while Player C just tied Player B for second place. I argued that since they were both equal in second place, that it doesn't matter who got there first and the longest road goes neutral until a longest road emerges. Is that correct?
pinoygui2fly

Re: Longest road question

Postby steve » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:08 pm

That is an excellent question - I've never actually found myself in that situation before and had to dust off the old rulebook to see what the right answer is. If the player with the longest road has their road split, then the extra two points goes to the player with the next longest road that is > 5 roads long. If there is no such person, then the Longest Road title is placed back into the box. So, in your situation, neither Player B or C would get the extra two points when you broke Player A's longest road. Once one of them builds another road, however, they would be able to claim the title. So, your guess on how the rules work was 100% correct. Hope that helps.
steve

Postby lumidapri » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:07 pm

In the question it is not specified that the second longest is less than 5 roads.
So the question stands: If the second and third players are tied with 6 roads each, who gets the longest road card when the 7 or more road gets split.
It makes sense to believe that the first player that completed the 6 roads is entitled to that card.
lumidapri

Postby steve » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Apologies for not being clear. If there is no person who has a road > 5 segments long and it is longer than all other players, then the victory points are not awarded to anyone. So, in the scenario you proposed lumidapri, the Longest Road title is placed back in the box and neither the second nor third players get the points until one has a longer road than the other players.
steve

Postby lumidapri » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 am

I agree in part.
The original rules say: “The first player to build a continuous road (not counting forks) of at least 5 road segments, receives the Special Card 'Longest Road'.”
Since the award is given to the first player that builds it, if we know which player got to 6 segments first than we should award that player.
lumidapri

Postby steve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:03 pm

I understand why that would be an intuitive interpretation, but here is a link to the official FAQ's answer to this situation:

http://www.catan.com/faq/2-catan-boardg ... upted.html

and I think it indicates no one would get the longest road in the hypothetical you proposed.
steve

Postby lumidapri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:08 pm

After reading the answer on catan.com I concur with you.
lumidapri

Postby steve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm

glad to hear, it's definitely a confusing situation, and not an intuitive rule on how to handle it.
steve

Return to Rules Questions