To steal or not to steal

Discuss any rules questions you've run into here. Please search through the forum for an answer to your question before posting it.

To steal or not to steal

Postby BigDave » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:05 am

The rules state that the when a knight card is played, the robber is moved to a "numbered hex"
and a resource is taken from a player with a development on that hex. (if more than one player
has buildings there, you choose your victim).

My question is this... If the player of the knight card chooses to place the robber on an
undeveloped (but numbered) hex, (not the desert) and not steal a resource, is this a legal move?

Thanks!
Dave
BigDave

Re: To steal or not to steal

Postby BobMem » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:45 am

It certainly is a legal move. Amongst my group we play a special rule that if you roll a 7 or play a knight card you can chose to move the robber to a hex which has no surrounding settlements and claim a single resource card of the type on the hex.

This is particularly useful in the early game where it can be better to claim a rare corn, for example, rather then blocking a brick/wood income for one of the other players that you might want to trade for later.
BobMem

Re: To steal or not to steal

Postby steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:52 am

I'd have to say that I don't think it's a legal move by the technical rules of the game. With the latest edition of the game you do have the ability to move the robber to the desert (your rules must be from the previous version since they limit the movement to locations with numbered tiles). But, if you move to a location which has an opponent's settlement/city bordering it, then you should take a resource.

That said, most people play with house rules. I personally like to play the same way BobMem mentioned and recommend it highly for everyone else.
steve

Return to Rules Questions