Two Player Settlers and Seafarers

Post your ideas for alternate rules for Settlers of Catan and its expansions here, or comment on ones listed on settlersofcatan.net

Two Player Settlers and Seafarers

Postby hiliner17 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:15 am

I have read and played some of the Two Player Settlers and Seafarers variants and this one has been the absolute most fun. It is very simple: All normal rules apply. Additional Set-Up Rule: Dummy Resource Hand -- Take one of each resource and make a dummy hand, cards shuffled face down. During each turn you may make a 1:1 resource trade into the dummy hand.
Optional Rule: You may increase the amount of victory points to play to end the game.

Personal Note. My brother-in-law and I have played with large and small groups, and we both agree that playing this way is just as fun as playing with more players. Adding this simple rule certainly makes for very fun, very competitive and brisk paced games when you have the urge to play, but not enough people. We generally require more victory points to end the game, as it make the game last longer. Settlers = 12vps Seafarers =15 vps
hiliner17

Re: Two Player Settlers and Seafarers

Postby steve » Tue May 05, 2009 1:51 pm

I've never heard of the 'dummy hand' idea, gonna have to try it cause it sounds fun.
steve

Postby hiliner17 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Steve...

Let me know what you think. Is there a better way to play? We've tried the official way and this was WAAAYYY more fun.
hiliner17

Postby steve » Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 am

Will do. Not sure if there really is a "best" or "better" way to play the game, though. It's really just up to your own preferences. Some people don't like playing with any alternate rules at all. If you like the game a lot more with this variant then you should definitely keep playing with it :D
steve

Postby Sheepherder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:01 pm

I am confused. With the 'dummy hand' does it remain face down so when you trade 1:1 it is random? And is this dummy hand replenished with more resources at anypoint in the game??
Sheepherder

Postby steve » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:07 pm

I think the proposal is that the dummy hand is indeed random. However, it will never decrease in size as each trade with it keeps the hand size constant at 5. You're just never sure what you'll get in exchange for that extra resource lying around.
steve

Postby Radartoys » Fri May 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Me and my buddy actually played two different teams which did get confusing once. I still think the best way is just the normal rules. I like some of your guy's ideas tho
Radartoys

Return to Game Variants