Experience using new rules.

Post your ideas for alternate rules for Settlers of Catan and its expansions here, or comment on ones listed on settlersofcatan.net

Experience using new rules.

Postby BobMem » Mon May 10, 2010 7:21 am

We played 2, 5-player games of Settlers and used the following 2 special rules:

2s or 12s rolled count as 2s AND 12s:
This makes it a little less harsh on players placing their settlements last at the start, and increases the number of decent expansion areas. I thnk this is useful as it reduces the possibility of a player getting blocked in and having a very boring game.

When rolling a 7 (or playing a Knight card) players can choose to place the robber on a hex with no settlements on the border, and claim a resource card of that type:
This is an excellent rule. It helps prevent players getting overly hampered by the robber in the early game, as players are much more likely to move the robber to a hex which gives them a resource which helps them. You can also use the robber tactically to 'block' a hex which you expect other players to try to expand to.

In both cases these rules seemed well received and I think helped improve the game slightly. It did mean you had to remember to add one when counting spots on 2 and 12 resources!
BobMem

Re: Experience using new rules.

Postby steve » Mon May 10, 2010 12:28 pm

Yah, I really like those two rules as well.
steve

Return to Game Variants