Can you combine two games for more players?

Post your ideas for alternate rules for Settlers of Catan and its expansions here, or comment on ones listed on settlersofcatan.net

Can you combine two games for more players?

Postby monkeyscience » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm

We got two of the Original Settlers of Catan for Christmas. My husband thinks we can just mix them together (repainting the settlements/cities/roads of one set) in order to expand it for more than 4 players. I don't know if this will work, and think maybe we should just return one and buy an actually expansion set of some sort. Anyone try this, or know if it would work?
monkeyscience

Re: Can you combine two games for more players?

Postby steve » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Good question. I highly recommend taking the extra game back and getting an expansion instead if that is an option. Otherwise, you certainly could do a makeshift combination of the games. Just make sure to follow the slight changes in rules for the 5-6 player expansion (use the build phase after every person's turn and follow the rules for the amount and layout of tiles when making the map). I also think there is a seafarers of catan scenario which requires two of the original catan games to properly play, but I don't think it's worth buying two copies of the original game just for that scenario. Hope that helps.
steve

Re: Can you combine two games for more players?

Postby monkeyscience » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks for the reply - I will keep that in mind. I did play with 5 players once (with someone who had the expansion), and we didn't play with the extra build rule. It seemed to work out fine, but it's good to know the 'official' rules. :)
monkeyscience

Return to Game Variants