'New' Strategy for C&K

Strategies for the Settlers of Catan game and its expansions.

'New' Strategy for C&K

Postby BobMem » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:54 am

A recent game highlighted the usefulness of an interesting strategy.

We play using both Cities and Knights and Seafarers expansions.

By placing both your opening settlement and city next to 8s OR 6s rather than one next to an 8 and one a 6 (a more balanced strategy) you adopt an 'all eggs in one basket' style approach. HOWEVER, if you can rush to aqueduct then you can have good income on one number and effectively GOLD income on the other. In fact, if you can get an early aqueduct it is better to be on as few a numbers as possible.

In our last game the eventual winner received 10 (yes, ten) cards when a 5 was rolled (ok, not a 6 or 8 but a good example all the same) and had a choice of resource on most of the other numbers due to Aqueduct and lack of spreading. Certainly a risky strat, but one to consider.
BobMem

Re: 'New' Strategy for C&K

Postby steve » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 am

That sort of strategy is definitely viable, but it will sometimes mean a very quick game where you win or a game where you lose horribly - I don't generally enjoy either scenario. I try to avoid games of chance normally, so am the sort to put my eggs in multiple baskets. I will often end up with settlements on two 8's or 6's in the beginning, but I try hard for diversity in the other numbers in my expansions.

One solution to the riskiness of your proposed venture is to use the cards from Traders and Barbarians instead of rolling dice, since those cards more evenly distribute the die rolls. In that case, putting all your settlements on the same exact numbers should give you the same production as diversity, and therefore the number of dots on a hex is all that really matters.
steve

Re: 'New' Strategy for C&K

Postby BobMem » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:19 am

With the plethora of progress cards which discourage holding on to too many resources, it's also often better to have big chunks of income that you can spend straight away rather than slowly saving the right cards for your target. The 'all or nothing' income strategy certainly has its place, but only if you like risk!
BobMem

Return to Strategies