Links to Strategies Resources

Strategies for the Settlers of Catan game and its expansions.

Links to Strategies Resources

Postby steve » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:04 am

For ease of access, here are links to some of the strategy sections on the site:

Settlement Placement Guide
Settlers of Catan Strategy
5-6 Player Expansion Strategy
Seafarers Strategy
Cities and Knights Strategy

If anyone has any other links to strategy resources online for Settlers of Catan, feel free to post them below.
Last edited by steve on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve

Re: Links to Strategies Resources

Postby Sheepherder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:42 pm

I recently started playing Settlers of Catan and thanks to the strategies explained on this site, I have been able to acquire several victories among my friends and family. I have had tons of success with the longest road/settlements strategy and some with the largest army/cities strategy, but I haven't been able to figure out the third strategy. I seem to spread myself to thin and waste a lot of resources when I go for this one.
Sheepherder

Postby steve » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:05 pm

glad to hear the site's been of some help :P The third strategy is definitely a bit tricky, mostly only something to go for if your initial settlement deployment sets you up for it.
steve

Postby MikaHarrow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:40 pm

I have read through your strategies and they have helped me a lot, I have kind of created my own but I based it off yours and off this one here;

http://giantrobotgames.com/products/the ... board-game

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge, keep it up!
MikaHarrow

Postby steve » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:02 pm

Glad to hear you've gotten some use from the strategies as well, MikeHarrow. I enjoyed reading the article you posted - great idea to give a quick summary of strategies for new players. Your explanation of how many dots to get with settlements will definitely help any new player.
steve

Postby friskywhiskers » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:01 pm

I really found this website a help, especially the settlement placement article. I would like to share a stragety for the original settlers of catan but it will only work if the number tokens are placed to Its convenience:

Try to build your starting settlements near ports. And as the game progresses build roads along the coast and build more settlements on more ports to give you a quick and easy martime trading advantage. If you have a ready supply of a certain resource(s), for example a settlement on an 8 tile or many settlements/cities on one resource, try to aim for the corrosponding 2:1 port. This stragety will allow you to instantly get almost any resource you need whenever you need it.
friskywhiskers

Postby Bobbejaan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:42 pm

I just read your strategies and they are a great start for a beginner player.

Your sneaky strategy for the robber by revealing your cards is interesting. The people I play with have a house rule to prevent that strategy such that you automatically get robbed if you reveal your hand as it disadvantages the other players. Only time this wouldn't be enforced is if it was felt it was a deliberate attempt to hurt the person playing the robber. Granted in 100's of games I have never seeing a person try to make a person steal from them.

A variation on your sneak robber tactic that I often see is once selected negotiating with the player placing the robber. If you have several cards and they want a specific one often offering to let them take that resource will allow you to have some say on which of your resources they select. The aim here is to minimise the damage you will incur or ensure other opponents suffer along with you by suggesting shared hexes.

The 3 most important things in this game regardless of the version are flexibility of strategy, negotiating ability, and attention to your opponents. You can't predict the dice rolls, robber placements and sometimes opponents, being able to amend your strategy to the circumstances is a key ability. Negotiating is often the difference between a good player and a great player, always listen to deals and be prepared to step in a counter offer, or if you are the person with the key resource try to "auction" the price up. Being able to get what you need for your strategy is important don't be afraid to deal big. I think the biggest deal I saw was 12 cards given up to receive 4 which sounds crazy but the person who got the 4 cards won soon after.

One last comment. You mention in the seafarers expansion that the robber is better then the pirate. You are probably correct but don't underestimate the pirate. He has the ability to cripple one or more players sea expansion and can divert their attention. I have seeing people lose a game due to this. Because people often move the robber placing the pirate to cripple expansion is more effective as he is often left alone. Placing the pirate can also be key when you don't want the robber to move. Since you cant move the robber to the same hex it was on you may feel where it is is the best place to slow your opponents, hence moving the pirate is a better idea. This also has the advantage of those affected not feeling more dislike to you for choosing that "painful" hex as you placed the pirate not the robber. ;)
Bobbejaan

Postby steve » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the strategies, those are some excellent points on the value of the pirate. Out of all of the expansions, Seafarers is the one I have the least amount of experience with. The point that emotional effect on someone when you move a robber/pirate onto them is greater than the effect when you leave a robber/pirate on their space is especially good.
steve

Postby Radartoys » Fri May 20, 2011 9:14 pm

I've been snooping around this forum for months and finally joined plus I've already read all the articles and really enjoyed them. Well written. I've written a few strategies which of course similar. It's funny because I thought I was really good at first winning like 4 out of every 5 games I played. little did I know that players that know what they are doing with a REAL strategy are much tougher.
Still Catan is the best game ever! Had to throw that in.
Radartoys

Return to Strategies